Fri. Aug. 30, 2019 Pt. Whitney Juvenile Exp. Setup

Adding 1.5 year old juveniles to experiment

Kaitlyn and I did the following:

tagged and took pictures of all animals

  • TRACKER: 2019_Var.low.pHxAmb_1.5yr_prevExposedJuveniles_TRACKER
  • Sequim animals:
    • ExE:
    • ExA:
    • AxE:
    • AxA:
  • Hatchery reared animals:
    • ExE:
    • ExA:
    • AxE:
      • we didn’t tag these 9 animals because we had no more tags
      • I forgot to take pictures of these next to the tape measure
    • AxA:
  • randomly split out groups across 4 silos containing about 1” of sand (2 replicate silos for ambient and 2 replicate silos for var.low pH)
    • Sequim ExE: 1 animal/silo
    • Sequim ExA: 1-2 animals/silo
    • Sequim AxE: 2-3 animals/silo
    • Sequim AxA: 1-2 animals/silo
    • Hatchery ExE: 2-3 animals/silo
    • Hatchery ExA: 2-3 animals/silo
    • Hatchery AxE: 2-3 animals/silo
    • Hatchery AxA: 2-3 animals/silo

Finishing experimental set-up

  • var.low pH header tote #1:
  • amb pH header tote #5 and brood tote #6:
  • view into one silo:
  • view over one manifold:
  • video clip of set-up:
- further adjusted CO2 input to Tote #1 var.low pH header by dialing back the black knob on the gas manifold - Calibrated discrete pH probe and measured discrete pH in tote 1: - mV = 23, pH = 6.6; so Apex probes are off - Calibrated all Apex probes: - PH-B1 - PH-B2 - PH-B3 - PH-B5 - adjusted algae feeding: - swapped 6402-24 masterflex for 6402-35 masterflex to feed more to the totes and turned pump down to 120 - measured conical algal input: - in 10 sec collected 19mL - measured tote algal input - in 10 sec collect 72mL - SO each tote is getting about 2.4mL algae/sec and each conical is getting 1.9mL algae/sec; they are pretty even - algae concentration by cellometer were the same between the conical and the tote: 5.5x10^5 cells/mL - looked for manifold leaks and clogs. All looked good except on threaded adapter that was flowing slower than others. Unscrewed it and found leftover PVC shard from tapping that was clogging the port. - cleaned up manifold valve plumbing with new parts so it's less complicated - cleaned silos that manila clams were in and stored on shelf near hatchery doorway - moved two heath trays with ambient and var.low pH progeny leftovers from H2 stack to raceway stack. Also put leftover hatchery reared 1.5 year old juveniles back in same spot: [![](https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1FgsM4QVP-U1OsaPmrrTTrXA1Gon8nANW)](https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FgsM4QVP-U1OsaPmrrTTrXA1Gon8nANW) - cleaned pumps and tubing that were going from ambient conical to manila clams and to H2 stack - took down remaining trays in H2 stack, including extras from setting since those trays barely had any live animals. I had stopped rotating those trays (H2-T6(var.low pH) and H2-T2(amb.)) since June 27 (see prevous posts: [June 27](https://shellytrigg.github.io/109.5th-post/) and [July 24](https://shellytrigg.github.io/133th-post/) - finally, dropped off Liz's supplies (clam gun, buckets, and PVC pipe pieces she lent us for the outplant we didn't do) back at the Natural Resources Lab in Sequim and got back home around 6:30p. ### Next Steps: - confirm Apex treatment with discrete measurment - develop sampling and respirometry plan for amb and var.low pH progeny - switch tote #2 onto treatment water
Written on August 30, 2019